19 June 2012

Updates, Repairs, and Despair

Still trying to figure out a way of attaching these Panther G skirts. I super glued the rear end on and then attempted to use some of my epoxy putty to bridge the gap but the putty just isn't cooperating with me. The skirts are on, I just have to make it look good now since that is too much to ask of BF.


Next, the staff car I got in my Flak36 boxed set had a miscast base. Something I really hate about most of the transport vehicles in this game and the Panzerwerfer and Katyusha boxed sets is that the vehicle is molded onto the base. This is all good and gravy unless you either don't really want the base on (if for some reason you wanted to field Panzerwerfers without 5 or more crew), the base is damaged (which happens all too often), or if like me you simply hate all that resin under the vehicle that shouldn't be there. Since the staff car is a cheap replacement in case I screwed it up, I set out to test out what I could do about the damaged base. Here is how it looked before.



I got my dremel out and cut off what I could with a cutoff wheel. I then used a cutting bit to chunk out more of the larger material. Finally I used a grinding wheel to core it out and smooth it over. The only bad part about this process is the wheels are now flat at the bottoms (not such a big deal if you're mounting it on a new base with grass), and it is extremely time consuming. Honestly, I would rather pay more for the Panzerwerfers and support vehicles that aren't cast onto their bases than deal with anymore resin dust. I think it turned out ok. At least this vehicle won't have a mishapen base anymore.



Last up is the King Tiger you see behind the staff car. This is my first KT and I just love the model. It is such an awesome looking tank but for some reason it just doesn't look as scary when you put it next to a Panther which is pretty much the same size model. You can see the converted to plastic barrel from one of my previous posts, plastic hull MG from the Panther kit, and white track links. I reheated the mold of stowage I had cast in previous posts and made a cast of the track links for the KT. I think it could be better but I'm hoping some paint will make that happen for me. I am still undecided as to what paint job I will be using for my Germans. As of right now I am leaning more towards generic grey as opposed to building an army based around a specific unit. It isn't flashy but it is something you don't see often, if ever, and I don't have an airbrush to do the 3 tone paint job everyone else and their mom does.


Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment