05 June 2012

IS Hulls on the Block

Five IS-2s and four ISU-122/152s are currently getting built. I just got my first Dremel tool and I must say that it is a close tie with my brushes as the most important tool in my arsenal. It cuts, sands, drills, polishes, buffs, grinds, and performs fellatio. I am absolutely in love with it and this is just the $20 two speed cordless model from Wal-Mart.


I don't have a pin vise or anything like that but despite this I decided it was time to try my hand at drilling out the barrels anyway. I loaded up a 3/64" bit and tested it out on one of the IS-3 barrels I will not be using with my force due to scale desparities. I butchered it. Theres one $10 tank ruined and destined to be an objective marker some day. I steadied my hand and went for the ISU barrels first since they don't have muzzle breaks. Mission accomplished and they look good. I attempted one of my IS-2 barrels and I think it turned out alright. Wish I had a file set tiny enough to square it up but I think at such a small scale it will look fine once painted.


I have some people who know nothing of the hobby so am including a picture of one of my built IS-2 tanks next to a nickle for size reference.


Finally, the only completed models I have so far are a couple of casualty markers I got with my Russians. When I started painting them, I assumed they were dead Russians since they came in Russian boxes. These are in fact German models as can easily be seen by the lip on the helmet and the various German gear on their backs. I think they still look ok. Seen here with a nickle for size reference. I would like to note that everything I paint is done so with a very shakey hand, inadequate lighting, by hand, and by brush. I do not own an airbrush which is going to be a problem for the Germans I have on the way (new box of the Panther G inbound). I think they will end up being painted in basic German Grey.


Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment