12 June 2012

Panther G Platoon Extras

Got my Panther G platoon box today and I absolutely love it. The quality of the plastic parts is exceptional and so so crisp (eat your heart out Plastic Soldier Company). As I was building my first Konigstiger I was dreading the fact that I would have to drill out the sides of the muzzle break. I am inexperienced at this and was worried that I would destroy the barrel like I did one of my IS-3 barrels. But then I noticed that the bits sprue that comes with the new Panthers has an extra 88mm gun that is meant for the Jagdpanther which of course is a tank destroyer that shares the chassis of the Panther. This extra gun happens to be identical to the Konigstiger's gun except for how it is mounted to the hull. This was a no brainer...

I cut each of the barrels of as straight as I could and then used the dremel to get them even. I then glued the upper portion of the extra plastic barrel onto the lower portion of the Konigstiger's metal barrel. This is the result.


I think it is PERFECT! Since the Panther G platoon comes with 5 of these extra barrels, you can easily convert an entire platoon of Konigstigers in this manner. If you're like me and collecting Germans for the eastern front and using Grey Wolf (meaning you can't even take Jagpanthers in your lists) then this is a very nice way to spice up your KTs. Another thing worth noting is that the Panther kit comes with two plastic hull MGs one without zimmerit for the Panthers and one with zimmerit. Other than having a longer MG barrel, the one with zimmerit is identical to the poorly cast metal hull MGs that come with the Konigstigers but is full of crisp detail.

If you havn't already, pick up a box of these Panthers. They are freakin sweet!

(Soviet 80mm mortar teams work in progress in the background)

No comments:

Post a Comment