02 October 2013

99%

The F-16I Sufa is probably about 99% complete at this point. All I need to do to it now is glue in the magnet, apply decals, figure out what I plan on doing for the extravagant tail design, figure out how to paint the windshield, and maybe possibly change the color of green I used because I almost hate it. I matched these colors as close as I could and failed miserably. The tan is too yellow. The brown doesn't have enough red in it. The green doesn't have enough green in it. And the light gray doesn't have enough blue in it. I'm as irritated as I am jubilant for finally getting to this point.

The camo pattern is hand painted to the best ability that my shaky hands possibly can do it. The brown is English Uniform (Vallejo 921), the tan is Beige (Vallejo 917), and the green is Pastel Green (Vallejo 885). The light gray is Blue Gray Pale (Vallejo 905), and the dark gray is a drop of Blue Gray Pale mixed with a drop of black.. The LGB are a drop of Yellow Green (Vallejo 881) and a drop of English Uniform. I painted everything on and then gave it my own wash. If you look back at my previous pictures of ground units you'll notice that I'm using Sepia Ink (Vallejo 091). This ink is nice but it darkens everything. So I looked online for a wash recipe and mixed 4 parts water to 1 part Pledge floor polish and then dumped most of the Sepia ink into the container with a splash of smokey ink to darken it a bit. This wash is wonderful and should hopefully cut my painting time on ground vehicles in half if not more.

Anyway without further delay, I present the nearly completed F-16I Sufa conversion. I took two sets of pictures because I suck at photography. With flash shows detail better but washes out the color pretty badly. For instance, with flash makes the green look more like a sandy tan. Without flash, the green shows up as green but the model is too dark to see much else. I am including both sets of pictures here to give a general idea about the quality. Praise and criticisms welcome. This labor of love has taken me weeks from start to finish and I am glad to have finally [mostly] finished her.












Coming soon, WWII era United States Navy!

No comments:

Post a Comment