13 July 2013

First Submission into 6mm

For my first batch of items I got the Israeli combat force, two packs of Merkava IV, two packs of Namer, and a pack of Apache Longbow, all by GHQ miniatures. So I've got some infantry, 20 Merkava IV, 20 Namer, 11 Zelda (Israeli M113), 1 M125 (M113 mortar carrier), and 1 M109 (M113 TOW). The company I bought the models from screwed up and instead of sending me a pack of 1 AH-64D Apache they sent me a pack of UH-1D Hueys. The Apache is on the way but as I'm building an ultra modern army I don't really know what to do with the Hueys or the M113s for that matter. I'll likely paint them up nice as I can and sell them.

To start out I've done a single test model to get a feel for painting at this scale. I chose to do the M125. I gave it a primer coat of Khaki camo paint from Walmart, base coated it in US Field Drab from Vallejo model color range, and then gave it a sepia ink wash from the Vallejo game color range. At such a tiny scale I decided that it would be a bad idea to do any drybrushing to pick out details so after inking I picked out all the raised areas again with a fine brush in US Field Drab. I then painted some small details such as guns, the mortar, view port, shovel, cabeling, tracks, and hatch levers black.

I thought about doing a light highlight at this point but decided against it because I felt that it would brighten the model too significantly. US Field Drab is an inappropriate color for modern IDF forces (though I have seen several vehicles just a light) because the Israeli sand color is darker. But Israeli sand is hard to match to the Vallejo range and I didn't want to do any mixing so I opted for the US Field Drab so that it would be a close match but also so that any black details would stand out better against the base coat.

I think it turned out nicely and the details on the GHQ models is incredible but it is a rather boring model to paint. It would be more fun if I chose to do some wild camo scheme but the IDF seems to just coat everything in brown and call it good. Even their infantry camo is rather boring in a dull olive drab. I have a limited collection of paints at the moment so I have opted to not do any weathering to the model. I have several colors of sand I could easily brush on but I have nothing in the red spectrum to rust up the tracks. Now it's time to move onto the rest of these M113 things so I can get onto the more exciting models, Namers and Merkavas!




2 comments:

  1. That's a awesome paint job for a 6mm!
    Weirdly enough, my idea when I discovered this blog by pure chance was to start a 6mm project with NATO vs PLA.... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I'm glad to see anyone get into 6mm. I just got into it myself because of a guy named Allen. You can view his blog in my readworthy section. He seems primarily focused on American armor and actually produces some AMAZING stuff including an LCS-2 Littorial Combat Ship in 1/285 scale. His blog is at http://gamecraftminiatures.com/tac2game/microarmor/blog/ and he has a website at http://store.gcmshop.com/ where you can buy GHQ stuff with PayPal (useful for people like me who don't use credit cards and can't order direct from GHQ) and he makes A LOT of useful stuff including terrain like roads and buildings, a B2 bomber, and he even makes desktop furniture like a paint rack and mini desk organizer out of laser cut wood. I am definitely picking up the furniture asap because my desk is an absolute mess.

      Have you decided what brand you're going with? Not to sound biased (but I am) but GHQ is hands down the best quality you can buy and their PLA models are simply exquisite (they are newer sculpts as far as I can tell). The details are very crisp and there are lots of them. Anyway if you have a blog drop me a link and I'll check it out. I really enjoy any of the newer what if conflicts and they seem pretty rare seeing as how a lot of these older guys have been at this for a very very long time and are more interested in mid '80s cold war what if scenarios.

      Ben

      Delete